Monday, September 29, 2014

Fall TV - How to Get Away with Revenge in Nashville

The new fall shows are very much exceeding my expectations with the most anticipated show, How to Get Away with Murder living up to the hype.  At the same time though, some old standbys in years past, which I loved for the good ole soapy goodness of them, Nashville and Revenge, are falling on hard times. 





First up, is the newbie, Murder.  Suspending all disbelief at how completely unrealistic this story is compared to what Criminal Law 1L year is really like (the actus reus/mens rea discussion and the deer in head lights look Wes had on his face getting called on were pretty much the only realistic parts of the first episode. Personally, I thought we missed a great opportunity to discuss malice aforethought, one of my favorite crim law terms) Anyways....this show is going to be GOOD. A little dash of Orange is the New Black (hello Bennett...), a little 'arry Potter (good to see you Dean!), with a helping of Emily Owens MD (nice job, friend of Emily's who got the guy...I can't remember her name for love or money and refuse to go on IMDB) and then of course some GILMORE GIRLS (Paris! Lookin' good with the new haircut...). The real star and anchor of the show is of course,Viola Davis. She does steely like nobody's business.  I am excited to find out how these (supposedly) brilliant law students end up with a dead body and a murder weapon.  Or, were they chosen for their vulnerabilities and not necessarily their intellect.....hmmm feels like Patty Hewes is in the house. 

I also caught up with two soapy shows that have been mainstays for me the past couple of years, Revenge and Nashville. Nashville didn't seem very fresh, like everything had already been done before. I have to say though I was VERY happy Rayna did not go back to Deacon. I like a good redemption story as much as the next person, but their story line gives me the skeeves.  I feel like it is borderline abusive - she has put up with his crap for so many years and she always takes him back. And, at a certain point you gotta realize that while you can still love someone, they might not be the best influence on your life (and vice versa).  So, I am definitely shipping Luke and Rayna.  

Revenge just felt tired, old, and very played out. What is left? I know Victoria is the avenger now and what is going to happen when David Clarke comes back to the fold? But do I really care? My DVR cut off the end so I wasn't able to finish the ep yet, but I have a feeling this show might be in danger of getting cut from the DVR rotation. We'll see, but with no red sharpie, it has lost its edge (well really lost its edge about 1 1/2 seasons ago but then really got its mojo back at the end of last season I thought....so much for that).






No comments:

Post a Comment